When it comes to beauty, today’s woman is in.the.know! Any look or skill you want to master – there’s a youtube video for that. BUT there’s still the odd pearl of wisdom (or twelve) that nobody told you. Maybe they were keeping it back for themselves (mean girls) or thought you already knew.
You can thank me later.
1. Panda eyes anyone? I hear a lot of people complaining about liners and mascaras smudging UNDER their eyes. Guess what, eye primer isn’t just for the lids. Most primers – Urban Decay Primer Potion and Benefit’s Stay Don’t Stray (which I can vouch for) can be used under the eye to prevent smudge and transfer, and here’s a Brucey bonus, it’ll also keep your concealer in place.
2. If you’re rocking a bold lip – try dipping a clean lip brush into foundation or concealer and gently trace the outside of your lips. This will give you clean, sharp lines and make that bold lip really POP.
3. Tightline your eyes, especially the upper. I promise you it will make your lashes look thicker and fuller. If you don’t know what this means, it’s basically lining your inner water line. Look down into a mirror, pull your lids up and rim the inner upper line with your favourite eyeliner. Instant Priscilla Presley eyes!
4. DIY dry skin fix. Steam your face then apply two thin layers of your fave moisturiser to lock the moisture in. Two thin layers can be more easily absorbed than one thick one and won’t clog your pores.
5. A weekly warm oil head massage will nourish your scalp, stimulate new hair growth and strengthen your locks. Choose your poison - coconut/olive/almond, give it a good massage and leave for two hours or overnight (with a shower cap over the top if you can). Wash with shampoo – voile hair appears shiny and new!
6. Speaking of shampoo…. Your once amazing shampoo no longer amazing? This is probably because of product build up clogging your hair follicles. Every week or so, have a good ol’ clean with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of build up. Next time you shampoo, amazing again right?
7. If you want to avoid cakey foundation… Start at the middle of your face where you need the coverage and blend it out. By the time it goes to the jawline, it will barely be there – no demarcation marks.
8. You know when you do your eyeliner, especially cat flicks, you always do one side better than the other? Well, do your worst side first, that way it’s much easier to match up on your good side. And if you really can’t master fierce flicks, try scotch tape.
9. No need to buy expensive brow mascaras/setting products. Go old skool - spray hairspray onto a spooly brush, comb through brows to keep them in place!
10. Never apply fake tan after a hot bath or shower. You need to be cold, otherwise it will sink into your pores. Applying tan to your face? Try running an ice cube over your face, especially around the t-zone. No more nasty black/orange heads.
11. Hair slides sliding out? Spray hair grips/bobby pins with dry shampoo first to add some much needed texture and hold.
12. When applying mascara, paint both sides of your lashes. It’s crazy how many people don’t do this. It’s the easiest way to create more volume and when you blink your lashes look s.LICK!