|Photo courtesy of Makeup Savvy|
I don't normally get involved in “tags”, they kinda remind me of chain letters, but this one has been doing the rounds and when Fee from Makeup Savvy did it, I sat up and took notice!
1) Who are your most influential bloggers? Who are the ones that you really rely on for reviews and swatches?
Temptalia is my go to for reviews and swatches, especially anything MAC. Her pictures are amazing and review’s are so consistent and in depth. Bubblegarm was one of my first ever blogs, we seemed to love the same shades and brands so I really buzzed off her reviews. Also, the money saving girl inside me loves Makeup Savvy but her blog gives me photo envy!
2) Do you buy a product solely as a result from one review from your favourite bloggers, or do you look for more reviews from others?
In my early days of blog surfing I definitely fell victim to bloggers hype. These days I’m much more measured. If I see a product on a blog that pricks my interest, I’ll usually research it some more and often swatch in store before I buy. Naturally there are some blogger’s opinions that resonate more highly with me because I’ve found them consistent/we like the same products/suit the same shades etc.
3) What is your most favourite item that you have ever bought as a consequence of blogs?
That’s tough, so I’m choosing two. Liz Earle skincare – This was a mixture of blogging hype and peer pressure, either way I love the stuff (read my review here). Caudalie Beauty Elixir – it was everything I wanted it to be, and more.
4) What is your least favourite item that you have ever bought as a consequence of blogs?
Got to say, there’s a fair few products that didn’t live up to the hype. The stand out one, and this is controversial, was Sleek Rose Gold. Between the hype and the difficulty I had getting me hands on it, it was never going to live up to expectations. It’s a nice blush, but I find it too gold and far too shimmery.
5) Name 5 products you have bought recently as a result of blogs.
Maybelline Moisture Renew Lipsticks, Sleep in Rollers Fringe Roller, Urban Decay Naked 3, Lush Tea Tree Toner Water and Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser.
6) Have you ever given into blogger hype? If so, which hype?
Same answer as Fee here..... BB Creams. Lots of hype, lots of product launches, tried a few, fell for none – moved on.
7) Have you ever avoided blogger hype? If so, which hype?
I’m currently avoiding the hype surrounding Oribe Dry Texture Spray. Texture and volume, it sounds right up my street and reviews have been so complimentary, but £38 for a glorified dry shampoo, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?
8) Is everything you buy based on blogger reviews or are there some items you buy without checking out a review?
Oh no, I’ve bought plenty of products without checking the bloggershere first. I often buy products from discounted online stores like All Beauty and Fragrance Direct (I just ordered some cut price Becca products from FD here). Sometimes it’s just nice to pop into Boots or MAC and buy something that catches your eye. Still, I am guilty post-purchase-research and feel a little smug when I find out it’s a blogger tried and tested, like Collection Concealer (see it here), or celeb favourite like MAC Freckletone (see it here).
Which “blogger-hyped” products have you loved most/least? If you’ve done this tag, share your link, I’d love to read your answers.